CLEVELAND — Darius Garland tied his season-high with 21 points and rookie power forward Evan Mobley had 16 points and seven rebounds, leading the Cleveland Cavaliers to a 98-78 victory over the Detroit Pistons.
Third overall selection Mobley also blocked two shots and made a steal in winning his first NBA matchup with Pistons shooting guard Cade Cunningham, the top overall pick, who had nine points, six rebounds and a pro-high seven turnovers. Cedi Osman scored 17 points and Jarrett Allen had 11 points and seven rebounds for the Cavs (8-5), who led by 27 early in the fourth quarter.
The Pistons (2-9) were held to a season-low in points and shot a dismal 36.7% from the field. Forward Jerami Grant led the team with 16.
The red-hot Cavaliers will be back in action Saturday night when they host the hated Boston Celtics at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse.
More Cavs headlines:
- Kyle Kuzma trolls Cleveland after hitting game-winning shot vs. Cavs
- Cavs sideline reporter Angel Gray leaving Bally Sports Ohio for ESPN
- 3 reasons why the 2021-22 Cavaliers are for real
- Cavaliers C Jarrett Allen named Eastern Conference Player of the Week
- Cavaliers G Collin Sexton out indefinitely with meniscus tear
- Cavaliers unveil throwback-inspired 2021-22 City Edition uniforms
- Bill Simmons compares Cavaliers rookie Evan Mobley to Kevin Garnett
- Cavaliers F Kevin Love in health and safety protocols; will miss 'several' games
- Watch: Former Cavs guard Iman Shumpert goes viral for 'Dancing with the Stars' performance
- It's now been 5 years since Cleveland hosted Game 1 of the World Series and the Cavs' ring ceremony on the same night