EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio — Editor's note: Video at the top of this story was originally published on Feb. 9, 2021.
Authorities in East Cleveland are investigating after firefighters found a body while battling flames early Monday morning in the 12600 block of Superior Avenue.
The body was discovered when firefighters breached the door to check a vacant rowhouse next to the structure that was on fire, officials tell 3News. Homicide detectives were called to determine if there were any signs of foul play.
“We have reason to believe that the body has been there at least since February 28, but perhaps longer,” East Cleveland Chief of Police Scott Gardner says.
No additional details were immediately available, but we will update this story once additional information is released.
- Parma firefighter hurt while battling morning blaze in Brooklyn Heights
- 4-year-old twin boys die after north Columbus house fire
- Multiple turtles killed in Medina shed fire
- Fatal house fire in rural Stark County under investigation
- Fire hits Mason Auto Body in Rocky River
- Driver killed, 4 firefighters injured after car crashes into back of fire truck in Vermilion
- 2 firefighters, 2 residents treated for Brunswick fire injuries
- 'Uncle Vic' remembered after his former building in Elyria is destroyed by fire
- Drone video shows aftermath of Elyria's vacant Uncle Vic's building after it went up in flames
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published on Feb. 25, 2021.